Fish Creek Spinner Zonker Spinnerbaits Fish Creek Spinners Armadillo Trout Spinners 1/5oz Glass Armadillos Fish Creek Spinners large fishing spinners Fish Creek Spinners Walleye Rigs

Thursday, April 19, 2012

The June Bugs are here

If fishing with spinners is your passion, you spend a lot cycles looking at finished products. I spend a lot of cycles looking at component choices.

 It's interesting to see how many component options there are to choose from and combine, then imagine how they get selected, assembled, packaged and distributed. Finally marketed on the walls of your favorite tackle shops. Anyways, getting back on track.

Through the years, as I've looked through catalogs by Hagens, Worths, and Lakeland, I'm always intrigued by the June Bug blades.

Fish Creek Spinners June Bug blade fishing spinners
It had an exotic quality. Some relic from days gone by? A specialty blade?

 I suppose you have to be a bit of a nerd to appreciate its engineering. Different from clevis blades and Inlines.

One of a Kind, in my opinion. Eloquent in it's simplicity. The June Bug blade.

Two points of rotation, it's strung on the wire like an inline blade (no clevis), but has a fixed brace with a second hole punched in it during machining. I'll bend down the brace and string it during assembly, making it's second point of rotation.

Weird. How's this baby going to work?

But... Eureka! Guess what? Twice the blade noise generated during rotation!

Granted, this blades rotation position is fixed. Component contact is minimal.

Totally different then say an Armadillo with a clevis blade banging around during rotation, or an inline blade that has a wobble.

Intriguingly different. Vive la diff'erence!

 Still, the brace will rotate and drive other component rotation. That's where I'm headed.

Then a more subtle observation. Once the brace is pressed down into its spinning position, a hole in the blades surface is opened. An opening for water to rush through during rotation...hmmm, interesting.

Hmm, a fixed angle of rotation, veeerrry interesting!

Time to break out the hydrophone?

Now to line up some other partner components for this masterpiece.

6 comments:

WDSTK3 said...

I have spent hours staring at a component(s) in one of those catalogs and trying to visualize how they will look and work...the June Bug blade is one of them. Excellent stuff as usual John!

John Delaney said...

Packaging choices are another drool bucket!

Made these prototypes as prizes for a Kids Fish Photo contest on HPA. Hooks are a tad big, but wanted some bucktails. Those were smallest Ben tied.

WDSTK3 said...

Actually, I've leaned toward bigger hooks on my rigs the last few years. #6 or #4 long-shank singles, #6 and #4 red octopus style and #6 or #8 wide gap Kahle type hooks. My go-to hooks for my own use are the long shank or Kahle types. The red octopus style doesn't catch any more fish than any other but as one of my dealers says..."they catch more fisherman".

John Delaney said...

Depends on the spinner, I've went up to #6s on the 1/5 and 1/4oz glass armadillo's. Historically - #8s on most, #10's on some.

I bought some colored singles for bait rigs (on request by some fishermen), but brass treble is still my go to choice. I have some pictures with nickel trebles, but I'm not buying them anymore.

Small fish can get hooked on almost any hook bend. Larger hooks tend to end up in lips, tiny hooks get deeper, or in gills.

I've looked at the Kahle, but have not bought any quantity. It seems a hook for out in Northwest where there are Single hook only waters.

I option hooks, but most go out with trebles.

Participated in 'Twist off' spinner swaps on NW forums, and got some sweet pricey hooks in trades.

dea said...

I've gotta have the beefy hooks. I've been bank fishing a local lake with these June Bugs - all summer long - and the Largies consistantly hit them like a frieght train.

John Delaney said...

Hi Demir, glad to hear it! What I've been sending you is the zonker dressed 3X (triple strength) #6 short shanks. That's what you want on your recent order, right?